Monday, August 25, 2014

August ~ Heat Smarts

Hi sun. This is Heather. Remember me?  Listen, I know it's August and you're just doing your job but could you back off a bit? Thanks.

This may or may not be a conversation playing in my head while walking dogs or running in the hours between 8am-8pm. I'm super ready for Fall or what we call in Florida; slightly less hot Summer. At this time of year, the best way to not die whilst getting in a daily run is to continue to do it! Some years, I said screw it and took to the treadmill in my lovely air conditioned work-out room. Bad idea. The minute you return to running outside, it feels like you're drowning in humidity water and the sun is beating you into the pavement like a jackhammer. The sad truth is, the more you run in the heat, the better acclimated you become to it.

A few weeks ago, I had a lighter work load and decided to create a running challenge for myself.
6 days~6 miles each day. This was such an exciting prospect, especially to accomplish in the summer, that I decided to start Sunday night instead of Monday. 6 miles done in the evening, no problem. This was going to be easy peasy.

Dialogue in my head:

Monday  -  Oh God, it's hot. At least there are water fountains every 2 miles, thank you! What mile am I on? 3? Ugh. Should have brought the running belt with extra water. Now what mile, 5? Man, I'm thristy. Dowsing my head with cold water didn't help either. Definitely bringing the belt tomorrow. 

Tuesday  - Yay Bria is running with me in this madness! Cloud cover...score! Running belt, why are you so tight? Love the water, not liking the belt. Note to self: bring only hand-held water bottle tomorrow. Yay Bria! Retreat to Hea/Bria's world conversation.

Wednesday - Sun, why do you forsake me? Who's idea was it anyway to run 6 miles during the day for 6 days?? Sounded a lot better at the beginning of the week. What mile am I on? Fourve? Uhhhh ....blank....

Thursday - Just do it. The faster you run, the quicker you get home. ....blaaaaaank..... cute dog

Friday - Woohoo, day 6 and cloud cover! I love this challenge! Why not go through Saturday? 7 days - 6 miles. Let's do this! 

Saturday - bbboooghurrrsss......hot.......why?......torture.......mmmm, pizza..........blank......

And done! For some reason this is fun for me, even through the highs and lows. Maybe because it feels amazing to have a goal and accomplish it. Or maybe I'm masochistic. All runners are to some degree, right?
Now get back out there! The heat isn't going anywhere. Be safe. Run smart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next blog: I switch running shoes!
Here's a preview



 Happy Running!!!

1 comment:

  1. HA! This is hilarious! And perfectly portrays what it's like to run in this heat.

    ReplyDelete