Sunday, August 10, 2014

Chapter 1.2 Back Story Part 3

A year and 1/2 into this illness, I had given up on doctors or getting better in the near future. However, I stayed true in my Faith and kept a positive outlook of hope. A few months later I was chatting with a client about the illness and she spoke highly of a doctor in Tampa who worked wonders with Acupuncture. I had considered alternative medicine in the past and decided to give the doctor a chance, knowing this would be the last doctor I saw, as my resources were bled dry. I prayed for healing and continued to pray throughout the weekly treatments.

Six weeks later, I am the person you see today. Running (pun intended) at 90% capacity on most days. It's no cure by any means, but it is closer to normal than I ever thought possible for someone living with CFS. I try to explain it in terms of a battery holding a charge. My body is a battery that lasts about three weeks. Acupuncture is the charger. I feel pretty good as long as I get 'fully charged' every month. I still have to be careful as to how much energy I expend in a day. Frequent rest breaks are a must. Luckily, my job allows me to do so. I thank the Lord every day for the life he restored in me.

The best part about semi-normalcy is being a runner again! It even has a bonus effect on my health. The more I run, the better I feel. Maybe it's the harmful toxins sweat out or the strengthening of bones and muscles or the lubrication of joints that provide relief somewhere inside. All I know and am satisfied with is in caveman terms Run = Good.

Over the last few years, I've learned a lot about running gadgets, technique, nutrition, stretching, recovery etc. I'd love to share a little bit of what's worked for me in the coming posts in the hopes of encouraging you to give this wonderful exercise a try. Or if you're already a runner, maybe it will encourage you along the way and inspire you to run farther and faster than you ever imagined. Join me on my journey through the training, races, defeats and victories in this magical world of running.


                Me and Bria training for what would be known as the infamous X-Country Marathon in              2013!


1 comment:

  1. Great way to sum up your story! So inspiring and encouraging. I look forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete